- Tax Bill – Yesterday, the House passed its harmful tax bill. Now, the Senate is aiming to sneak ACA repeal through in its harmful plan to cut taxes for the wealthy and corporations. The Senate plans to vote on this package soon after Thanksgiving. Call your Members of Congress and tell them to OPPOSE any tax package that increases the deficit or that decreases the number of people with health insurance: (202) 224-3121
- Open Enrollment – Your outreach around open enrollment is working. Reports indicate that, despite Administrative sabotage, ACA signs ups are surging. Keep spreading the word ahead of the December 15th deadline about the affordable coverage options available at healthcare.gov. Find a tool kit, social media resources and tools to aid your outreach here.
MEMBERS IN ACTION
Tell us about what you are up to! Email your updates and photos to [email protected].
In October, DFA board leaders participated in a dozen meetings in Washington, DC with coalition partners that included health advocacy organizations and national physician groups. Pictured below is Chair Dr. Scott Poppen and Board Members Ethan Rome, Shalini Pammal and Dr. Meghana Rao.
Also happening nationally:
- DFA held a membership enrollment call with hundreds of participants and then led the Provider Week of Action in partnership with Young Invincibles, Get America Covered and physician groups.
- DFA signed onto a letter urging Congress to fund CHIP and FQHP’s which expired September 30th.
- DFA supported a measure allowing HHS to negotiate Medicare Part D prescription price introduced by Representatives Cummings, Doggett, Welch and Senator Sanders.
Over 50 medical students at USC led a campaign supporting DACA recipients and urging Congress to act to protect them.
Dr Sonali Saluja, an internist at USC, joined Congressman Ted Lieu at a healthcare rally in California’s 25th Congressional District where he spoke about the impact of ACA repeal on patients.
Also happening in CA:
- USC DFA medical students Alyssa Morse, Kyle Joyner, Santano Rosario, and Alexandra Obrembsky organized an event with Dr. Astrid Hedger on advocating for vulnerable patient populations in Los Angeles County.
- Dr Kyle Ragins, a board member, led a physician advocacy event for Los Angles County health professionals sponsored by the Los Angeles Department of Public Health, Southern California Public Health Association, and the California Baptist University.
- Medical students Grace Lee and Jeff Fujimoto organized the first UCLA-DFA chapter meeting on campus.
DFA-NY and medical students at Mount Sinai, led by medical student James Blum, held a Day of Solidarity at Mount Sinai for DACA recipients and collected some impressive data on the impact of their advocacy, below.
Also happening in NY:
- DFA NY signed onto a letter sent to their Representatives asking them to oppose the budget proposal and stop Medicaid cuts.
- Drs Bruce Rector & Katherine Scheirman joined the physician advocacy coalition letter to Mayor DeBlasio supporting the removal of a statue of Dr. Simms in New York City.
- DFA NY participated in the 2017 NYC Regional ACA Outreach and Enrollment Summit on October 17th.
GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION CAMPAIGN
Dr Nina Agrawal held a press conference with Congressman Carolyn Malone in response to the Las Vegas shooting.
Dr Agrawal also interviewed with Think Progress in response to the shooting.
“I think we need raise awareness that NIH and CDC can’t fund research — this seems like a no-brainer.”
PRESCRIPTION DRUG PRICING, VALUE AND AFFORDABILITY CAMPAIGN
Dr Bruce Rector participated in a panel organized by the National Physicians Alliance to discuss DFA efforts to address high drug costs and the opportunities for action in 2018.
Please send your updates and photos to [email protected].